Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Okkultokrati: Snakereigns (2012)

Krust

With all the buzz surrounding Kvelertak a couple years ago, many people were trying to find something similar. One of the brightest hopes was their fellow Norwegians, Okkultokrati. Or darkest hopes, as it were. I swear I had written a review of the band’s No Light for Mass back then, but if I did, I must have scrapped it before publication. Since I can’t link you to my keyboard abortion, here’s the excellent Monkey Defies Gravity review. The choice quote: “The two bands may mix punk and black metal but the results couldn’t be more different.”

Some things have certainly not changed for the band. But some things have changed, and for the better.


They still play a doomy crust/sludge hybrid that’s far too dark to make Kvelertak a useful touchstone. Where Kvelertak use that punk abandon to create something high-speed and upbeat, Okkultokrati take it down an apocalyptic road. It can be fast-paced like Motörhead in hell (“No Ouroboros”). But just as often, they’re treading the path of doom. “Acid Eagle One,” for instance, blends the formula with Autopsy and classic doom.

But on those changes: First and foremost, this record is produced with a significant uptick on the heavy. That is decidedly an improvement, and further sets them apart from most everything I’m inclined to compare them to. Secondly, they’ve thrown in some electric organ. The instrument never draws attention to itself, but the subtle effect is fantastic.

I highly recommend this one, to everyone. I can’t imagine any of my readers not enjoying it.

The Verdict: 4 out of 5 stars



Preorder/Buy Snakereigns

2 comments:

  1. Hey thanks for the shout-out. Okkultokrati are such an interesting and weird band, I definitely need to check this new one out. The song you post is really good: dark, heavy, ritualistic yet oddly... elastic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am yet to hear this album but they are a great band.

    "Filthy" is the word I associate with Okkultokrati.

    ReplyDelete