Monday, April 01, 2013

Mercyful Father

I've been keeping this under wraps for a while now, but it's time to make the official announcement.

As you know, I'm a huge Mercyful Fate fan. I've been kicking around the idea of a tribute band for years, but the prospect of taking the time out to do a bunch of shows was simply not in the cards for a working father of three. As far as I'm concerned, a record is better anyway.

Finally I've gotten together with some old college friends and a couple of local guys from the metal scene (you may know them from Dirtfedd), and we've recorded two entire Mercyful Fate tribute records under the name Mercyful Father. I haven't played any instruments myself for years, but I have a mean falsetto scream, so I handled all the vocals.

You may also know that I am a Christian, so it took some doing to change the lyrics. "All hail Satan" has become "All hail Jesus," but it totally works, if you don't mind my saying.

We shopped it around to a few labels, and got a nibble or two, but getting the rights to all the songs turned out to be a nightmare. Ultimately I used my lawyer skills that the small labels were sorely lacking, and we decided to self-release it. I'm working on getting our Melissa on Bandcamp, and it should be up in the next few days. Official announcement with links to follow.

I'm really excited about this, and I think we've done a bang-up job. Spread the word in anticipation.

3 comments:

  1. Congratulations, that's awesome. I look forward to hearing it and merclilessly ripping it apart on my blog. Just kidding. But I do look forward to hearing it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Suddenly I am suspicious. I forgot the date.

    ReplyDelete