Friday, April 11, 2014

Halahkuh: Desecration (EP 2013)

I'm Influenced by Bobby Flay

Review by Metallattorney. He is the law.

I'm not totally sure how a band can claim that their music is influenced by a historical figure. Maybe I just don't understand. But here we are with Halahkuh, an Indian melodeath/thrash metal band who claim that their influences are Genghis Khan and his son Hulagu Khan. I admit to being a little in the dark as to Genghis Khan's son, but I am certainly aware of Genghis.

Halahkuh take influences from extreme thrash metal bands from the 1980's and mesh them with early Swedish melodeath, prior to the softening and bastardization of the Gothenburg sound. Think heavier At the Gates and Dark Tranquillity meeting Kreator. It is a heavy and aggressive sound. Much like their historical influences the music is relentless and driven with fast-paced riffs and abrasive vocals.


There are a few breakdowns throughout this release. I am not someone who completely opposes breakdowns, as long as they are used sparingly and written reasonably well. Sodom did them well on occasion and of course Suffocation does as well. Halahkuh does incorporate them well into their music. They come at a decent time and are not overused.

The songs are mostly on the shorter end but they pack a lot of energy into them. This is an EP, so there are only four tracks here. Again, not really a problem. It is enough of a teaser to whet the appetite for more. I have to say I am kind of surprised that this is a release from an Indian band. It really does sound more like the kind of thing you would expect from a European band. It is impressive, just sounds out of place.

THE VERDICT
I give this 3.5 out of 5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment