Thursday, October 08, 2015

Mastery: VALIS (2015)

The promo spiel for Mastery’s VALIS called it the most extreme record the Flenser has ever released. That’s saying something.

This is some intense, weird, dissonant black metal featuring two long compositions, a shorter one, and two interludes. I’ve spent a lot of time listening, trying to unravel its secrets, to no avail. But I’ve enjoyed it along the way. There are some strangely compelling riffs, but remembering them is nearly impossible amid the apparent chaos. Just when you think you’ve got something to latch onto, it’s pulled away by the constant tide of insanity.



This is definitely one for the Deathspell Omega fans out there.

The only sense I feel I can intuit from it is this: I think Mastery took some inspiration from electronic music. I’m not sure why I think that. Maybe it’s the interludes, maybe it’s something else.

And maybe my rating doesn’t do it justice. Perhaps, after 100 listens, everything would fall into place and its brilliance would be revealed. Or maybe it’s just a fascinating exercise in controlled chaos. In either case, you should listen.

The Verdict: 3.5 out of 5 stars

3 comments:

  1. Justin was able to get a little more grip on it, but my reaction was more like yours. I like it, but I don't really know why.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This release really reminds me of Mories' projects (the guy behind Gnaw Their Tongues). It's just as chaotic and linearly structured but without the oppressive atmosphere, so it really makes you focus in on the disorder.

      Delete
    2. I've been listening to a collection of GTT, and I didn't pick up on that. I'm going to have to listen again with that in mind. It just doesn't make any sense to me at all.

      Delete